Rebecca Ward Consulting - Business Effectiveness and Planning
RSS

Recent Posts

2018 STOP Domestic Violence Conference Australia
Two slimming supplement brands sold online found to contain banned substances
The Dangerous Game of Telephone in Hospitals
What Causes Domestic Violence?
Broken to Brilliant - Audio Book Launch

Categories

ACHSM
Aged Care
Big Pharma
Budget
Business
Caffeine
Cardiology
Cartoon
Connecting
Cost Effectiveness
Depression
Domestic Violence
Education
electronic health records
Emergency Department
Employment
Freebies
Funding
Gun Control
Healthcare
Infectious Disease
Legal
Legal Humour
Medical Humour
Mental Health
Mining
Newsletter
Nursing
Obesity
Opthalmology
Patient Safety
Pharmacology
politics
Presentation Skills
Public Speaking
Queensland
Roads
Safety
Strategy
Stress
Suicide
Theatre Caps

Archives

July 2018
May 2018
April 2018
March 2018
February 2018
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
December 2015
November 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
February 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013

powered by

My Blog

Queenslanders respond to anti-smoking campaign

Minister for Health
The Honourable Lawrence Springborg
Queenslanders respond to anti-smoking campaign

The Queensland Quitline service has experienced its busiest month in seven years; driven by the success of a two-pronged State-Government advertising and legislative anti-smoking campaign. Health Minister Lawrence Springborg said Queensland smokers were responding to the Government campaign, with more than 3000 calls to and from the centre in May, 2014. “They’re calling Quitline for advice about how to butt out their bad habit,” said the Health Minister.

“The surge continued with a further 2,154 callers to Quitline in June, compared to 1,854 in June last year. The Minister visited Quitline operators at Mt Gravatt today to thank them for their hard work in providing support for Queenslanders wanting to break the smoking habit. “Since early May, the Government’s $1.65M ‘All by myself’ advertising campaign has been telling smokers they don’t have to quit alone,” he said.

“The message is getting through and people are calling Quitline for help and advice. "We are encouraging smokers to think about the help that is available to them and to take action. We will continue to provide funding for positive health campaigns that help Queenslanders to lead a healthier lifestyle. "Unlike previous campaigns, the ‘All by myself’ ads do not use graphic images to shock smokers into quitting. The new approach shows how being a smoker can mean missing out on an event and how it can affect your family, so it is good to see people really thinking about this message.

“This is obviously resonating with the community, as 80 per cent of Quitline callers surveyed saying they saw the ad. During May, the Quitline team delivered its highest number of ‘Quit Now’ telephone counselling sessions – 1,696; an increase of 126 on May last year." Quitline staff were expecting to remain busy after the launch of a second campaign, ‘Your future is not pretty’, and recent changes to legislated smoking bans, which attracted widespread media coverage. “The recent surge in Quitline activity shows that no-smoking laws, quit smoking campaigns and disease prevention messages can make a difference to people wanting to quit,” said Mr Springborg. “I’d like to commend and thank our Quitline staff for their hard work and commitment to making Queensland a healthier place."

If you’re thinking about quitting, phone the Quitline on 13 QUIT (13 7848) because you don’t have to do it alone.
 
Fast facts:
  • Between May 16 and June 22 Quitline clients were asked for their feedback on the All by myself campaign
  • 346 Quitline clients were surveyed; which represents 24 per cent of all callers who rang Quitline during the campaign period.
  • Of these, 276 (80 per cent) reported seeing or hearing the All by myself ad
  • Of the 276 clients who had seen/heard the campaign:
    • the majority had seen it on TV (259 clients, or 93.5%), with the remainder being on the radio (12 clients; 4.33%), online/digital (4 clients; 1.44%), and at an out of home outlet (2 clients; 0.72%)
    • 225 (81.23%) reported that the campaign made them think about their smoking behaviour
    • 119 (42.50%) reported that the campaign influenced their decision to call the Quitline
 
[ENDS] 8 July 2014
Media contact: Clare Mildren 0417 255 284



0 Comments to Queenslanders respond to anti-smoking campaign:

Comments RSS

Add a Comment

Your Name:
Email Address: (Required)
Website:
Comment:
Make your text bigger, bold, italic and more with HTML tags. We'll show you how.
Post Comment
Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint