Rebecca Ward Consulting - Business Effectiveness and Planning
My Blog

Favourite Business Books

Great Reads...
Recently I was asked about the Business Books that I would recommend to read or ones that resonated with me. I have attached the list and I would love to hear what YOUR favourites are:

* Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

* The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

* The Art of War by Sun Tzu

* Don't just talk...Perform! by Lynda Spillane (NB: This book is hard to come by but I highly recommend you get yourself a copy)

* Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make Competition Irrelevant by Renée Mauborgne & W. Chan Kim

* The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli

* Thus Spake Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche

* Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap...and Others Don't by Jim Collins

* Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors by Michael E. Porter (NB: knowing about Porter's 5 forces is key for marketing and strategy)

* Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart: Thirty True Things You Need to Know Now by Gordon Livingston

And on a more personal level:

* Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss (Everyone should know the difference between you’re and your; to, too and two; and effect and affect)

And of course, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte: "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will."

6 Comments to Favourite Business Books:

Comments RSS
Ryan L on Wednesday, 29 May 2013 1:58 PM
Becstar, Tou have to have a Drucker book on your list! The best business book I think is Managing for the Future, top read. Non business book I think is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain!
Reply to comment

Rebecca Ward on Wednesday, 29 May 2013 2:25 PM
That's poor of me, yes I should have included a Drucker and also a Jack Welch book but I tried to keep the list to max 10. Non business I'd also have to add Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary or anything by Tolstoy. Cheers, R

Ryan on Wednesday, 29 May 2013 2:53 PM
I reread 2 of the books I was forced to read at school and now have a whole different appreciatetion for them. Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird. Classics that lose impact when forced upon you.
Reply to comment

Rebecca Ward on Wednesday, 29 May 2013 3:22 PM
Very true. I feel the same way about Lord of the Flies... and there's even more to it when you read it as a management guide (and we've come full circle). "I agree with Ralph, we've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages!?"

Laura on Thursday, 13 June 2013 10:24 AM
I agree with the comment about The Lord of The Flies. If you look at it like a business book we should be cautious of only being concerned with the 'hunt', salespeople and businesses can grow to have a bloodlust. In response to your original question: I have also added The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey and How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie.
Reply to comment

Troy on Saturday, 11 April 2015 10:12 PM
Freakenomics and Superfreakenomics see http://www.amazon.com/Freakonomics-Economist-Explores-Hidden-Everything/dp/0060731338/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428754287&sr=8-1&keywords=freakenomics if you want to buy one. Thanks rebecca and Sarah
Reply to comment